HALLOWEEN - the unholy 13 - your top 5

Non Vinnie discussion

Halloween - the unholy 13 - your top 5

Halloween (1978)
29%
Halloween II (1981)
No votes
Halloween III: The Season of the Witch (1982)
29%
Halloween 4: The Return of Michael Myers (1988)
No votes
Halloween 5: The Revenge of Michael Myers (1989)
No votes
Halloween: The Curse of Michael Myers (1995)
No votes
Halloween H20 (1998)
14%
Halloween Resurrection (2002)
No votes
Halloween (2007)
No votes
Halloween II (2009)
No votes
Halloween (2018)
14%
Halloween Kills (2021)
14%
Halloween Ends (2022)
No votes

Total votes: 7

strangeways
Location: United States of America (Greater Chicagoland area)

HALLOWEEN - the unholy 13 - your top 5

Post by strangeways »

Fan of the original, the series as an idea, and Carpenter in general.

My rankings -

1.) Halloween (1978) - the original and still king
2.) Halloween (2018) - a really nice return to form if you ask me.
3.) Halloween Kills (2021) - flawed in the midsection, but a decent attempt to do something with the follow-up to the 2018 version. The opening sequence is killer.
4.) Halloween H20 (1998) - Jamie Lee is back with a vengeance - sweet - she makes the movie
5.) Halloween III: Season of the Witch (1982) - no relation, but fun all the same.
6.) Halloween (2007) - Zombie remake is decent but not great -
7.) Halloween II (2009) - Zombie sequel is decent but not great -
8.) Halloween 4:The Return of Michael Myers (1989) - a nice return in the sense that it's a good try to get back to an original feel
9.) Halloween II (1981) - meh - Jamie Lee just sits there and waits - c'mon
10.) Halloween Ends (2022) - a mess of a movie.
11.) Halloween 5: The Revenge of Michael Myers (1989) - lame all the way around and made worse by a goofy ending
12.) Halloween: The Curse of Michael Myers (1995) - stupid story line leftover from last movie - Paul Rudd as a grown Tommy Doyle?
13.) Halloween: Resurrection (2002) - The worst. A real low point.

The original is still king.
It would've been my preference that they did not make another one after the original, but.....they did and it didn't really do much for me.
Halloween II (1981) had Jamie sitting around and doing nothing which was the total opposite of the first one. Were there some quality kills? Sure, but I feel that it almost betrayed the spirit of the original by having Jamie Lee just sit around and wait.
Halloween III (1982) was not related to the series and was just an average horror movie.
A break of about five years and Michael came back to us in Halloween 4. Not half bad, but not great. Halloween 5 and 6 really didn't do anything for me. They were terrible. Halloween 6 was the last to feature Donald Pleasence. Too bad he didn't go out after a good one.

Halloween H20 -despite its lame title this was a good return to form.
The return of Jamie Lee Curtis and a great last half-hour showdown between her and Michael.
This is the type of movie that should've been made after the original. This should've been the end of the series, but.....
they came back with the worst Halloween ever.

Halloween Resurrection is a sad affair that should've never been made and is infuriating in its existence.

Halloween 2018 really brings it back nice and tight for me.
Gone is the silly idea that Jamie Lee is Michael's sister in this direct sequel to the original. A good step up all around.
While flawed in the midsection, Halloween Kills at least makes a worthy effort to do something new with the series.
Halloween Ends (2022) is a mess of a movie. A blown opportunity to have a thrilling end to this latest Myers trilogy.

Now we come to the Zombie movies.
My problem with Zombie is that his films before this were in my opinion - mediocre. His films have some great individual scenes within them and I admire his efforts to take the genre back to a more gritty Texas Chainsaw feel, but he has yet to put together a complete movie in my eyes. I was hoping he would up his game when it came to the Halloween films but it was not to be. I thought it was a good idea to focus a little bit more on Michael and his masks and whatnot, but after that, he really didn't do much of anything with the character (except put M.M. on steroids it would seem). The Zombie sequel is also interesting but never really goes anywhere. The problem is that so many of the Halloween sequels were so awful that Zombie's films are refreshing just for the fact that he did something different.

In the end, I go with the original Halloween, Halloween (2018), Halloween Kills (2021), H20 (1998), Halloween III (1982)

ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
"Stairway to the stars, I think I'll write good health to you." - Albert Bouchard / Richard Meltzer / Donald Roeser
"Vinnie Vincent saved Kiss. It's just too bad he couldn't save himself." - Me
Genebaby
Site Admin

Re: HALLOWEEN - the unholy 13 - your top 5

Post by Genebaby »

Hey, I just started watching Halloween (1978) yesterday, but didn't finish it. I was thinking, with the newest one out, that I should finally see what the fuss is about but it didn't captivate me. I will try and finish it today.

Now I feel bad about wasting my time lookin at the others. Funny how Halloween 3 was not even a proper part of it, I didn't know that. Ah, the 80's and the things they did.
Commander in chief - VVF Army
birnie

Re: HALLOWEEN - the unholy 13 - your top 5

Post by birnie »

Watched all the Freddie's, and Poltergeists and a few others.
Don't know why, these just never made it on my radar.
(I find JLC annoying too)