doublev2

vinnie and lick it up mentioned

Post by doublev2 »

from 9.00 vinnie mentioned.
Bye Bye
Luxor

Re: vinnie and lick it up mentioned

Post by Luxor »

I love how Paul and Gene would lie their butts off promoting a new record. At least I didn't see Paul compare this one to Destroyer or COTN like they did some other albums, which then they soon dismissed the album.

Also, hilarious to see Paul praise Mark's guitar work etc when we know what Paul and Gene really think of Mark's playing.
"This whole 'rotation' thing is absolutely meaningless and weird. It's most likely coming from label to save face" - DoubleV
Genebaby
Site Admin

Post by Genebaby »

Paul nails it here. Animalize was LIU taken to the next level and Mark could play rings around Vinnie.
Commander in chief - VVF Army
Luxor

Post by Luxor »

Genebaby wrote: Thu Jan 04, 2024 4:50 am Paul nails it here. Animalize was LIU taken to the next level and Mark could play rings around Vinnie.
Is this a joke? That's not what you've said previously here. Hmmmm Why is that?

https://vvforums.com/viewtopic.php?f=20&t=8498
"This whole 'rotation' thing is absolutely meaningless and weird. It's most likely coming from label to save face" - DoubleV
Genebaby
Site Admin

Post by Genebaby »

I've changed my mind. Animalize is clearly the superior evolution of LIU, with Mark crapping all over Vinnie. Listen to I've Had Enough, it's raining notes like a thunderstorm in the solo!!!
doublev2

Post by doublev2 »

Mark is interesting . he did nail it in saying that he wasn't really copying the guitar players around him. Mark is the most virtuoso and dynamic of all the kiss lead guitarists but he has the personality of a session player. If he had some persona or likeability he would have made more of an impact but as a player on his own he seems to be by far the most technically gifterd .
Bye Bye
doublev2

Post by doublev2 »

at the time he probbaly beleived it. looking back he obviosuly wasn't a long term kiss type of player but for that era he was the best guy. I do have to say the guitar playing is eye opening.. Vinnie's shreds were boring as Eric Carr said, Vinnie much much better as a neo Jeff Beck, Gary Moore guy.
Mark as a shredder maybe as good as anyone or better. and his solos arent boring like Paul said later. I think Paul in 1984 probbaly wanted a shredddr and looking back he changed his mind but i believe him. they had lots of choices and chose him
Luxor wrote: Thu Jan 04, 2024 4:04 am I love how Paul and Gene would lie their butts off promoting a new record. At least I didn't see Paul compare this one to Destroyer or COTN like they did some other albums, which then they soon dismissed the album.

Also, hilarious to see Paul praise Mark's guitar work etc when we know what Paul and Gene really think of Mark's playing.
Bye Bye
Luxor

Post by Luxor »

doublev2 wrote: Fri Jan 05, 2024 3:29 am Mark is interesting . he did nail it in saying that he wasn't really copying the guitar players around him. Mark is the most virtuoso and dynamic of all the kiss lead guitarists but he has the personality of a session player. If he had some persona or likeability he would have made more of an impact but as a player on his own he seems to be by far the most technically gifterd .
Mark was so terrible, they had to use Bruce to do studio work he couldn't do. Mark was abysmal.

And its clear why Gene was calling Vinnie everyday to come back. Mark stunk and he certainly couldn't write songs
Luxor

Post by Luxor »

Genebaby wrote: Thu Jan 04, 2024 1:05 pm I've changed my mind. Animalize is clearly the superior evolution of LIU, with Mark crapping all over Vinnie. Listen to I've Had Enough, it's raining notes like a thunderstorm in the solo!!!
Oh, since Nov 2020, you've now changed your mind. Hmmmm interesting.

Now an album pretty much everyone in KISS fandom admits fell off big time from Lick It Up, is better. An album full of Gene filler tracks (we know why he was begging Vinnie to return because the music stunk) and Pauls attempt to redo LIU with HOF and a decent track but mostly filler.

And Mark "who couldn't play the same solo twice" is now better than Vinnie.

That's your opinion and you are entitled to change it for sure. But very few would agree with that.

As Dino pointed out, Vinnie saved KISS.
doublev2

Post by doublev2 »

liar. Gene calling Vinnie every day to come back. Unbelievable lies. Music is different to different people. If you don't like Mark thats fine. I seem to remember another guitar player came in to recroed Exciter solo on lick it up. Same sort of thing. What solo did Bruce do on Animalize. Interesting you like Bruce haha
Luxor wrote: Fri Jan 05, 2024 4:37 am
doublev2 wrote: Fri Jan 05, 2024 3:29 am Mark is interesting . he did nail it in saying that he wasn't really copying the guitar players around him. Mark is the most virtuoso and dynamic of all the kiss lead guitarists but he has the personality of a session player. If he had some persona or likeability he would have made more of an impact but as a player on his own he seems to be by far the most technically gifterd .
Mark was so terrible, they had to use Bruce to do studio work he couldn't do. Mark was abysmal.

And its clear why Gene was calling Vinnie everyday to come back. Mark stunk and he certainly couldn't write songs
Bye Bye
Luxor

Post by Luxor »

doublev2 wrote: Fri Jan 05, 2024 4:54 am liar. Gene calling Vinnie every day to come back. Unbelievable lies. Music is different to different people. If you don't like Mark thats fine. I seem to remember another guitar player came in to recroed Exciter solo on lick it up. Same sort of thing. What solo did Bruce do on Animalize. Interesting you like Bruce haha

LOL So now you are calling Hirsh Gardner a liar??! Hirsh is the one who confirmed what Vinnie had been saying since the mid-80's.
But then you know nothing about KISStory, Vinnistry or the music business.

No, Derringer is not the same thing at all. All Derringer did is COPY what Vinnie was already on tape doing. It was more head games because Vinnie wouldn't sign a contract.

Remember, Bruce got replaced by Dick Wagoner because Bruce couldn't do the solo. Then Bruce wanted Gene and Paul to lie and act like he did it. Bruce only admitted it 20 years later or so. When Dick had already told everyone long before that and Gene and Paul had told them years earlier.

And of course, I see you still know nothing about KISS:
Kiss wound up calling in Kulick to contribute guitar solos for two songs on Animalize, "Lonely is the Hunter" and "Murder in High Heels." “Paul told me that he wanted me to play competitively with everybody that's out there now,” Kulick told UCR about his time with the band in a previous interview.

Read More: 35 Years Ago: Kiss' Bruce Kulick Era Begins With 'Animalize Live' | https://ultimateclassicrock.com/kiss-an ... m=referral

Do I prefer Kulick over Bee Boy MSJ yes! MSJ stunk in KISS and he had an attitude like he was really something when he wasn't. White Tiger proved he had nothing.
doublev2

Post by doublev2 »

i have not listened to lick it up or animalize in full since the 80s but I think A Million to One probbably better than anything on Animalize. Also Exciter is slightly better than i've had enough in my opinion I think but I may have to listen again. My memory was Exciter, I've Had enough and King of the Mountain were all sort of inspired by Creatures of the night song at least in energy.
Personally I like back then Vinnie way more than Mark just saying I think Mark is better technically and way better shredder. But not overall player . But now Vinniw can't play and Mark no lobger alive
Bye Bye
doublev2

Post by doublev2 »

just tried to listen to lonely is the hunter. Solo isnt anywhere near as good as Mark's . Pretty bad actually
Bye Bye
Genebaby
Site Admin

Post by Genebaby »

Derringer didn't copy what Vinnie was doing. Vinnie's version of that solo was actually disappointing, what's on the album is brilliant and you would think it was Vinnie.

Did Vinnie ever reproduce the Fits Like A Glove solo live, note for note?
Luxor

Post by Luxor »

Genebaby wrote: Fri Jan 05, 2024 6:23 am Derringer didn't copy what Vinnie was doing. Vinnie's version of that solo was actually disappointing, what's on the album is brilliant and you would think it was Vinnie.
Give me a break. Of course Derringer basically copied what Vinnie had already put down. Gene and Paul were trying everything to screw with Vinnie to get him to sign the "contract from Hell".

Even people who don't like Vinnie admit it.

One would think its Vinnie on the album because its basically a "copy".

But how does one reason things like this with people who think Asylum is better than Animalize & LIU and that Animalize supposedly blows LIU away and that Mark is allegedly far better than Vinnie. That is so far out there on the fringe that maybe less than 1% of KISS fans actually believe that.

And the true fact is the song should have been used on COTN. But MJJ, Gene and Paul were so clueless.
Genebaby
Site Admin

Post by Genebaby »

The solo in the Exciter demo is not very inspiring. You can see why they went looking elsewhere. The finished solo is awesome.
doublev2

Post by doublev2 »

Rick Derrigner was recording his solo album in Right Track Studios at same time Kiss reocording Exciter. https://www.discogs.com/release/3347997 ... -Dirty-Fun
Bye Bye
doublev2

Post by doublev2 »

Rick recorded this James Bond theme tune at same time as Exciter. The solo is insane haha can hear a touch of lick it up album in there.
Bye Bye
doublev2

Post by doublev2 »

Rick and Vinnie bith played with Edgar Winter as well as Kiss
Bye Bye
Genebaby
Site Admin

Post by Genebaby »

Not bad Rick. Good job on Exciter.
Luxor

Post by Luxor »

doublev2 wrote: Fri Jan 05, 2024 5:38 pm Rick recorded this James Bond theme tune at same time as Exciter. The solo is insane haha can hear a touch of lick it up album in there.
What a horrible song. What movie was this supposedly the "theme song" for? I sure don't remember any "Hardball" as a James Bond movie theme song.
Luxor

Post by Luxor »

Genebaby wrote: Fri Jan 05, 2024 11:24 am The solo in the Exciter demo is not very inspiring. You can see why they went looking elsewhere. The finished solo is awesome.
Says the guy who thinks Asylum is better than Animalize and LIU.

Thankfully, most other KISS fans (like 99% know better)
Luxor

Post by Luxor »

The Egyptian Warrior
Slayer

Post by Slayer »

doublev2 wrote: Fri Jan 05, 2024 5:38 pm Rick recorded this James Bond theme tune at same time as Exciter. The solo is insane haha can hear a touch of lick it up album in there.
Thanks for the post Dino, I have never heard this song.
Genebaby
Site Admin

Post by Genebaby »

Yeah, I've heard that version of Exciter. The solo does not make me wish the album version is different.

The sooner you learn to embrace albums like Asylum the happier you will be.
Luxor

Post by Luxor »

Genebaby wrote: Sat Jan 06, 2024 8:16 am The sooner you learn to embrace albums like Asylum the happier you will be.
Why would I want to embrace garbage albums that even the people who created them dismiss?

The songs (for the most part) were weak then and they've certainly gotten far weaker over time.

You can pretend Gene was putting out his best stuff then when everyone else acknowledges Gene was completely AWOL from KISS at that point.

Gene didn't do any songs from Asylum. Paul did 2 on the Asylum tour (other than attempting a few and disgarding quickly).

Do you really think:
Trial By Fire
Anyway You Slice It
Loves A Deadly Weapon
Secretly Cruel

are anywhere near decent? Of course Gene wasn't getting any singles/videos during this time. Paul's stuff was weak but Gene's was really bad.

If you think that's better than stuff on COTN & LIU that's on you.

Even his garbage on Animalize is probably better
Burn Bitch Burn
While The City Sleeps
Murder In High Heels
Lonely Is The Hunter

Both albums just really suck when it comes to Gene material. That is some really weak stuff. None of those songs should have ever made a KISS album.