The "MYTH" of KISS having to hire Vinnie because of a tour

General Vinnie Vincent Discussion
VVArchives

The "MYTH" of KISS having to hire Vinnie because of a tour

Post by VVArchives »

Julian Gill finally actually corrected someone with the truth for once.

They acted like KISS didn't want Vinnie. They were forced to take him because of the tour and so much other nonsense.

That might make sense if he was hired in early December. But he was hired in September (as JG pointed out to them)

CK Lendt said, "they were enthralled by Vinnie"

The guy beat out hundreds of guitar players. The spent alot of the Creatures enormous advance on flying in guitar players from all over the world to try out.

Remember, even Bob Kulick said they should hire Vinnie.

Everything would have been wonderful for KISS and Vinnie had they not tried to make him sign that horrible deal prior to LIU. And then when he wouldn't sign, they put him in the "mutant hotel" and started playing mind games.

Its bad enough they cut his and Eric Carr's salary in half but all the other crap they tried to get away with . . .
Genebaby
Site Admin

Re: The "MYTH" of KISS having to hire Vinnie because of a tour

Post by Genebaby »

I would say that still qualifies. Literally couldn't happen much later, when so much is at stake you need your I's dotted and your T's crossed. KISS could not decide on a new member in November and then go on tour in December. You gotta pick the guy, work out the makeup, design the costume, have several made, and rehearse and practice the show.

All this takes time. So at some point they would have gone with Vinnie, cause he was there and in their ears a lot. The squeaky wheel got the grease.

Which is cool. It's great to hear how Vinnie was so proactive and interested in moving his career forward, during this time and after when he formed the Invasion and did two albums.

It's the time period afterwards, and more recent times where I wish that confidence and drive was still around.
Commander in chief - VVF Army
KISSFAQ

Post by KISSFAQ »

VVArchives wrote: Sun Dec 11, 2022 9:25 am Julian Gill finally actually corrected someone with the truth for once.
You do realize that I do like and respect Vinnie's musical talents? I also try to operate in the realm of what I can prove in addition to what other people have said with first-hand knowledge.

Without any doubt, they'd signed Vinnie to be a touring guitarist and come up with the makeup/guise by the end of September 1982. Without any doubt, they continued auditioning guitarists past the release of Creatures. Even the contract they signed with MJJ in Dec. 1982 to produce a follow-up to COTN explicitly states Ace Frehley and/or Vinnie Vincent as band members he'd be recording.

IMO the only myth was the one they were selling at the time regarding Ace's status, and perhaps they were in denial. Certainly, come Dec. 1982 Phonogram wasn't when they shitcanned the 1980 contract and KISS became Simmons/Stanley.
VVArchives

Post by VVArchives »

Genebaby wrote: Sun Dec 11, 2022 1:01 pm I would say that still qualifies. Literally couldn't happen much later, when so much is at stake you need your I's dotted and your T's crossed. KISS could not decide on a new member in November and then go on tour in December. You gotta pick the guy, work out the makeup, design the costume, have several made, and rehearse and practice the show.

All this takes time. So at some point they would have gone with Vinnie, cause he was there and in their ears a lot. The squeaky wheel got the grease.

Which is cool. It's great to hear how Vinnie was so proactive and interested in moving his career forward, during this time and after when he formed the Invasion and did two albums.

It's the time period afterwards, and more recent times where I wish that confidence and drive was still around.
Why bother with a "new member"? If you are going to keep pushing the line that Ace is still in the band, why come up with a new character at all?

Also, its not like the tour kicked off December 1. It was almost like it began in January.

2 weeks of rehearsals would have been plenty of time.

Spandex costumes stretch. And they could have just used some of Ace's old stuff. Could have used Ace's makeup design. Which would have made far more sense if Ace was allegedly "coming back".
Genebaby
Site Admin

Post by Genebaby »

Dude, how much do you actually know about KISS? At that time they A: didn't own Ace's or Peter's makeup designs, and B: Felt locked into creating all new characters, as Peter was the cat, Ace was the Spaceman, it was way too early to think about messing with that. Only after taking the makeup off, a big reunion and the subsequent issues with Ace and Peter, the fact so much time had passed, and they owned or could license the characters that they decided to try things as we know them now.

Back in 1980 it was unthinkable for the KISS fans and the world to see Peter go and a new person become the cat. That thinking was still in effect in 1982, so while they were stalling, whatever they were doing with Ace, they had to get their backup plan together, along with a story, so they could tour and make some actual money, hopefully.
Commander in chief - VVF Army
Luxor

Post by Luxor »

Vinnie literally played in Ace's boots for the 1st month.
"This whole 'rotation' thing is absolutely meaningless and weird. It's most likely coming from label to save face" - DoubleV