You don't have to have a 45" to get played on radio

General Vinnie Vincent Discussion
VVArchives

You don't have to have a 45" to get played on radio

Post by VVArchives »

I know some around here laughably act like if there wasn't a 45 for sale then they weren't getting airplay.

Also, if you wanna know why KISS had a "hit" with Forever, the reason is in large print. But yet, people laughably want to talk Vinnie and Payola instead of KISS always using gimmicks to make things appear "larger than life"

https://www.latimes.com/archives/la-xpm ... story.html

latimes.com
Singles Only? No Longer for Billboard's 'Hot 100' - Los Angeles Times
GEOFF BOUCHER
6–7 minutes

For more than four decades, Billboard magazine’s “Hot 100 Singles” chart has been the barometer of the nation’s pop music, but beginning next week the trusted tally will be renamed “The Hot 100.”

The chart’s title, much like the music industry itself, seems to have run out of room for the once-beloved “single.”

Once the engine of pop music, the commercial single is now often a mere marketing tool in a business that hangs its hat on album sales, industry insiders and observers say. And that is why the staple chart in Billboard will soon break from tradition and redefine itself to include album tracks getting heavy radio airplay.

The change reflects a widespread disrespect for the single, which is still a key player in urban music genres. But many of the biggest pop songs produced in recent years never even made it to the fading format. For example: Alanis Morissette’s latest hit.

Her song “Thank U” may be all over radio stations and video programs, but is nowhere to be found on the most recent Billboard singles chart because it cannot be purchased as a cassette or compact disc single. That same situation has applied to “Iris” by the Goo Goo Dolls, “Killing Me Softly” by the Fugees, “Don’t Speak” by No Doubt and “Lovefool” by the Cardigans.

“The songs that people hear on their radios, the songs they will remember these years by, have been missing in action from our chart,” said Geoff Mayfield, charts editor for Billboard. “These songs were never released as commercial singles, but you have to say they were hits--and tracking the hits is what the chart is supposed to do.”

The trade is not alone in grappling with the role of the single.

The music industry has watched the single evolve from its linchpin sales format in the 1950s and ‘60s to a second-class citizen, as the album became preeminent by the 1970s. The single hovered near extinction when vinyl records gave way to cassettes and compact discs in the 1980s, but survived to cross over into the newer modes.

But the profit margin on singles had become so small they were viewed as more trouble than they were worth, says Al Cafaro, chairman and CEO of A&M; Records.

“It became hard to see what was our advantage in selling singles of the best song on an album--and undercutting the sales of the album--when the deals [signed with artists] were geared toward the album,” Cafaro said. “If an artist has one hit, it begs the question, ‘Why not put it out as a single so people can buy it?’ Well, we signed that person to an album deal, and we want to amass album money off that.”

In the 1990s, the single became “a marketing entity” for labels, according to Sky Daniels, general manager of Radio and Records, another industry trade. Labels flooded stores with “low-ball” priced singles (marked down to 49 cents or less, instead of the usual several dollars) to inflate sales and push the song up the charts to catch the eye of radio programmers. The new chart formula should help thwart that practice, Mayfield said.

The single is fading in stores, too. In the first six months of 1998, shipments of cassette singles dropped 19% and singles on vinyl plunged 33% compared to the same period in 1997, according to the Recording Industry Assn. of America. Shipments of singles on compact disc actually grew during the period, but at a rate lagging behind albums on disc, the trade group reports.

Overall, albums accounted for $5.5 billion in sales for the first six months this year while singles tallied up a comparatively small $205 million at the nation’s cash registers.

For Daniels and others who say they “revered” the 45-rpm singles as touchstones of the rock ‘n’ roll era, the loss of singles as a meaningful format is cause for sadness. It may also undercut efforts to open up music-buying to new, younger fans.

“For the youngest consumers, a song is something you identify with and you want to buy it and listen to it over and over and over,” Daniels said. “It’s a rite of passage for young fans.”

Some retailers recently encouraged label executives to release more singles for the young-buyers market, but others would rather see the single join the turntable in music museums.

“Singles becoming extinct? I have no problem with that,” says Gary Arnold, senior vice president of marketing for Best Buy. Arnold said he is enthused by the use of the Internet to post new songs as part of album promotions. Already, the Internet seems positioned to revolutionize the way consumers get their music.

Many consumers buy albums and tape their favorite songs into compilations--either on cassettes or, now, recordable CDs--making singles even more obsolete. And the artists making music often don’t want to put out a single, either, viewing it as a crass commercial move, says Rich Fitzgerald, executive vice president of Reprise and Warner Records. Artists often view albums as “better, more complete statements” of their music, Fitzgerald said.

So when is a single still viable? Acts aimed at the youngest consumers, such as Hanson and the Spice Girls, and urban music genres have fleeting hits and quick trend turnarounds, creating a place for the single. Some veteran pop acts, too, have risked album sales to push a big single with an eye toward reestablishing themselves as hit makers.

But even single success can be a failure of sorts. Fitzgerald recalled his label’s hit “Change the World,” a 1996 song by Eric Clapton and Babyface that sold more than 1 million copies as a commercial single--a plateau never reached by its album, the “Phenomenon” soundtrack.

“It really cannibalized album sales, I’m sure of it,” Fitzgerald said. “The album would have been bigger if we hadn’t put the single out. And we’re in an album business.”
Genebaby
Site Admin

Re: You don't have to have a 45" to get played on radio

Post by Genebaby »

This is an article from 1998, talking about the situation at that time. The 80's, which VVI were part of, were still the glory days of the record comapnies and their business and singles were still a big thing.

The part in bold also has NOTHING to do with Forever, as again, that was going on later, not in literally 1990. For whatever reason Forever was a legitimate hit, even here where I live it was big and was massively requested on the radio request shows, which were still a thing.

None of this is helping your cause.
Commander in chief - VVF Army
VVArchives

Post by VVArchives »

Genebaby wrote: Sun Jan 29, 2023 1:27 pm This is an article from 1998, talking about the situation at that time. The 80's, which VVI were part of, were still the glory days of the record comapnies and their business and singles were still a big thing.

The part in bold also has NOTHING to do with Forever, as again, that was going on later, not in literally 1990. For whatever reason Forever was a legitimate hit, even here where I live it was big and was massively requested on the radio request shows, which were still a thing.

None of this is helping your cause.

No you are twisting things and not understanding them as usual. Yes, this article is from 1998 and it tells what was going on. That was the full switch. Maybe do some googling and find out what happened in the early 90's to combat what KISS and others were doing and to help acts that didn't release physical singles.

You are as bad as Dino. Its unbelievable

And yes, KISS was doing that in the early 90's. And maybe listen to a KISSFAQ podcast on the matter.

You can apologize yet again for being wrong for the 1,510 time

Forever only went to #38 Australia. #18 in Canada. #65 in the UK. Could only manage 5 spots higher on mainstream rock radio in the US than "Hide Your Heart". Nothing else anywhere.

Funny you all love to talk payola but KISS pulling a scam to get a hit single and you could care less.

I believe it was 1991 where Billboard changed the weighting of the Hot 100 charts to give far less weight to sales and much more weight to airplay.

And many acts would release the absolute bare minimum for single sales
Genebaby
Site Admin

Post by Genebaby »

Again, you are parading info about the 80's and providing evidence from the 90's, how is that so difficult to understand. 90's antics didn't have an impact on VVI.
VVArchives

Post by VVArchives »

Genebaby wrote: Sun Jan 29, 2023 2:46 pm Again, you are parading info about the 80's and providing evidence from the 90's, how is that so difficult to understand. 90's antics didn't have an impact on VVI.
It wasn't just the 90's. People have long gotten airplay without a physical single release. How difficult is that for you to understand?? Do you think that just began in the 90's? Labels were smart long before 1990.

And do you think this stuff just started in the 90's?

And odd how you ignore Forever. You made a huge false claim Forever was a legitimate hit. Your hero, said just the opposite is true. Why the silence on that? You wanted the proof and its right there with him saying it.
Luxor

Post by Luxor »

VVArchives wrote: Sun Jan 29, 2023 1:47 pm
And yes, KISS was doing that in the early 90's. And maybe listen to a KISSFAQ podcast on the matter.

Juian calls "Forever" a Plastic Hit and says it was manipulated. Julian destroyed a Kiss Myth for sure.
"This whole 'rotation' thing is absolutely meaningless and weird. It's most likely coming from label to save face" - DoubleV
Genebaby
Site Admin

Post by Genebaby »

As a kid I was surprised at Forever, how well it did, and it is not bad in Kiss ballad terms, I really don't like Everytime I Look at You, that is really plastic to me.

Whatever manipulation they did, they should have done it sooner!!!
Luxor

Post by Luxor »

Genebaby wrote: Mon Jan 30, 2023 8:16 am As a kid I was surprised at Forever, how well it did, and it is not bad in Kiss ballad terms, I really don't like Everytime I Look at You, that is really plastic to me.

Whatever manipulation they did, they should have done it sooner!!!

Why should they have done it sooner? It failed. They gave away singles below cost. And there was no upside.
"This whole 'rotation' thing is absolutely meaningless and weird. It's most likely coming from label to save face" - DoubleV
Genebaby
Site Admin

Post by Genebaby »

The upside is KISS was in the top 10. However they got there it was in people's faces and it was about time.

I wish I'd seen some below cost singles, I've got so many versions of the single, Australian, UK pressings, cassingles, 7" & 12", I think one of the 12" ones has a KISS patch with it.

Forever is a good song, if the stinker Every Time I Look at You went top 10 it would be too suspicous.

At the time I heard a lot of housewives liked Forever.
Luxor

Post by Luxor »

Genebaby wrote: Mon Jan 30, 2023 6:27 pm The upside is KISS was in the top 10. However they got there it was in people's faces and it was about time.

I wish I'd seen some below cost singles, I've got so many versions of the single, Australian, UK pressings, cassingles, 7" & 12", I think one of the 12" ones has a KISS patch with it.

Forever is a good song, if the stinker Every Time I Look at You went top 10 it would be too suspicous.

At the time I heard a lot of housewives liked Forever.

That is an upside but it didn't do anything to help the band.

They lost money selling singles below cost.

Selling all those singles (while losing money) also hurt the sales of people buying a $15 cd.

Kiss lost money as they were cannibalizing their own sales.

I don't know how the radio charts are done in Australia and if their charts were as easily to exploit as they were in the US because so much weight at the time was given to single sales. I think they soon changed it to give far less weight to single sales and much more weight to airplay after KISS and others did what they did.

Kind of like the RIAA changing record certification and 1st implementing a 90 day waiting period because of KISS and the solo albums. I don't know if the Australian equivalent did something similar in the 80's to stop abuses like KISS was doing or not.
Genebaby
Site Admin

Post by Genebaby »

It was a long time ago and I've no idea how we did things then. As a kid I figurd it was sales, as singles were still a big thing. I bought a few I liked, and then of course many of the same one for the KISS collection.

Forever gave them credible exposure even over here, which was amazing to me. There was even a short lived rumour they were going to do a big one off concert, with other artists. It was included in a local magazine, came in late as it was being printed, they got a snippet in there. I was trying to work out how I was going to get to this place called Wallan, but it never materialized. It was even on the TV news but I think the promoter was counting his chickens before they hatched by announcing something they didn't have proplery wrapped up and organized.