Metallica tonight

Discuss other bands we like
Genebaby
Site Admin

Metallica tonight

Post by Genebaby »

It's been over 17 years, but I'll be off to see Metallica tonight. Don't like the new album but I also don't despise it like St Shit-for-brains, so I have lifted the boycott.

Not a fan of Robert as the bass player, don't like his stage presence, but I put up with Janick, so I'll be ok.
Commander in chief - VVF Army
birnie

Post by birnie »

Lucky !
I dont' mind they new album.
I have the last 2 tracks permanently on my car's USB stick.
Suicide and Redemption.....and My Apocolypse

I still remember seeing them at the Big Day out in Sydney and it started raining with lightining etc......Was so fitting.
James was on stage...says to the crowd " I don't know about you guys, but it looks pretty fucking cool from up here!"
You could see full ligthning bolts less then 1 km away.

I screamed my fucking head off that night!
And they played all the good old stuff :)
Genebaby
Site Admin

Post by Genebaby »

I am wishing for lots of good old stuff.

As they began to to medleys of their classic stuff from the Black album I was bummed out. Master of Puppets must be played in full or not at all!!

Either way, should be good, we have great seats, will be another night off for me before I go into work tomorrow on the way home!
Last edited by Genebaby on Sat Nov 13, 2010 5:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Genebaby
Site Admin

Post by Genebaby »

At the hotel now, going to go out for dinner.
doublev

Post by doublev »

liked the first album.
Genebaby
Site Admin

Post by Genebaby »

Back now. Show was great. No medley's, and they played almost all of Puppets, which was fantastic. Only one song each from KEA, RTL and Justice, which was a bummer.

The new stuff they played was better live, but still not much of a fan.
doublev

Post by doublev »

i thought they had a very unique sound at first but now it sounds like shit to me. I hate the sound Lars gets from his drums these days.

Didn't Hetfield buy all Paul Stanley's Les Paul '59s before the cost went out of control? I think he got one over on Paul. I was told Paul's advisors told him to sell.. some you win some you loose!!! I was told that any 59 Les Paul that comes up for sale is instantly bought by Hetfield.
wolfgang161272

Post by wolfgang161272 »

I'm a very big fan from Metallica. I like the older albums and songs like "AM I Evel" or "Hit the Lights". My favorite killer track is "Blackened". But I hate the stage performing of Robert too!!!It's shit
Cliff Burton rules forever!
But the drum sounds from St. Anger oh my God- great great shit!!

I think Metallica with the Line up with Dave Mustaine was the best ever!
The tour of the big 4 (Anthrax, Slayer, Megadeth and Metallica) was absolutly amazing!!

Dave is a talented guitar player like Vinnie was.

Question: do you think that Vinnie play today so good like in the 80's ?
Genebaby
Site Admin

Post by Genebaby »

I keep forgetting you're a drum guy Dino. Live they sounded great, to me.

I forgot to mention last night, I was wearing my newly aquired VVI t-shirt and met a guy called Steve, who was working as a DJ in a Guitar Hero/DJ tent (I think).

He noticed the shirt and is a big fan. Hopefully he'll join us here sometime soon.
poserboy71

Post by poserboy71 »

I believe Vinnie has only gotten better and more refined.

Releasing albums in many different styles would be incredible. He would be on the covers of many guitar magazines because of his mastery of many styles.
THINK: Porter Wagoner

:wink: I am the Undisputed Sex Symbol of the VVFF
NEWBEGINNINGS
Genebaby
Site Admin

Post by Genebaby »

Wolfie, I gotta say, I too was not a fan of Robert's stage moves from what I had seen before, but now I think he's great for the band. Plays well and has a lot of energy. His arms are LOOOOONG!!!!

I always thought he looked stupid, but he's not like Janick at all to me now, ha ha.

St Anger was just shit, let's leave it at that. I was amazed at what some bands can get away with and still be popular. Kiss released the Elder and it almost tanked them (maybe why they used a tank on their next stage) and Metallica release that steaming turd, which should have done the same.

I guess Kiss were also dealing with a 70's backlash, which didn't help.

So far, I've not heard of a guitarist who was hot before that can't play anymore, just from old age. Everyone seems to be doing it still. I'm sure Vinnie can still play like a mofo.
doublev

Post by doublev »

yes, an instrumental (not like speedball however) would be really great from Vinnie. Also some new stuff.. but he wont do it. Its personal now and he doesn't want to deliver stuff for us out of spite. Everyone knows just how much I defended Vinnie and would have never said words like that, but its true. He wants no fan to have any satisfaction from himself. Its a weird power trip that no one wins, but especially not V himself.
doublev

Post by doublev »

nothing against his playing, just not into his recent sound (but don't totally hate it). But thats not to say others don't love it. Truthfully I don't like Bobby Rock's current sound at all, but totally respect his playing. I think the 80s rock drums sets sounded (and were recorded) much better than modern ones. I really hate the snare sound that started about 11 years ago with those Alice in Chains rip of acts (at least the rip off vocals).

I think some drums are too perfected and have no life, I would say Tama leads the way in lifeless drums, but its still possible to make them sound good. (Bobby Rock used them on Nitro OFR and it was good I think). Just me ranting here ... sorry
shramiac

Post by shramiac »

Ah, Dino and his hatred of TAMA!!! I can understand that if you're basing it off Lars' drums! He has the worst bass drum sound ever! Sounded like a cardboard box for years! I liked Clive Burr's No. of the Beast tones and Simon Phillips always gets a get tone, Jonathon Mover from Satriani fame got a great sound and Portnoy has always had a good tone! Although, I'll admit that Portnoy's best sound was on the Awake and Change of season albums and they were with Mapex!!!! Then again producer/engineers can make a big difference! As for Metallica....never, ever liked them! In 1989 someone gave me a tape of And Justice for All and another guy gave me a tape of So far, so good,so what. To me there was no comparison. Megadeth just blew Metallica away. And this was at the height of the "war" between the bands so I sided with Dave!! Of course Rust in Peace came out the next year and that comfirmed my decision! Best Metal album ever!
Promises made, crying in vain, all empty. Never accepting the blame and not letting go of the shame. A river of tears, as months turn to years, all wasted. On someone not willing to change.Now only a shadow remains! :(
doublev

Post by doublev »

Ha. I am not saying its impossible to get a good sound from tama, but to me they are boring as shit and I too dislike the bass drum. The kordia wood one that bobby rock used wasn't bad. To me tama stands for generic.
Genebaby
Site Admin

Post by Genebaby »

I'm not into drums that much, some sound like crap but I figure that's the studio tweaking that ruins it.
sunnyto666

Re: Metallica tonight

Post by sunnyto666 »

I do not like Metallica songs
[color=#FF00FF][/color]I DID IT MY WAY!
shramiac

Post by shramiac »

sunnyto666 wrote:I do not like Metallica songs
Yay! Someone else who agrees with me!
Promises made, crying in vain, all empty. Never accepting the blame and not letting go of the shame. A river of tears, as months turn to years, all wasted. On someone not willing to change.Now only a shadow remains! :(
sunnyto666

Post by sunnyto666 »

Metallica are so stupid
[color=#FF00FF][/color]I DID IT MY WAY!
doublev

Post by doublev »

don't like metallica.. however 'one' was kind of a ground breaking hit and for some fucking reason if i pick up a guitar and i am not think is start playing that shit.
doublev

Post by doublev »

i saw that tour when Queensryche opened up for them. I left before Metallica came on.

I liked Megadeth better but I listened recently and did not like it as much as I remembered.

I hated Slayer!!!!

Wasn't keen on Anthrax but the best of all those bands live.

I also was at that tour with Megadeth, Slayer, Anthrax and Alice in Chains.

I left after Megadeth and before Slayer came on and met Marty and talked with him for about half an hour. He had an acoustic guitar and was playing the whole time we were talking. He was a great guy.. I had received many letters from him after I sent fan mail while he was in cacophony and he remembered me. (i don't think he got much fan mail while he was in Cacophony because they really got zero mtv play).

I met him in in around 2003 and he wasn't so nice, maybe it was just a bad time.
Genebaby
Site Admin

Post by Genebaby »

Queensyrche and Metallica in 88 would have been AWESOME Dino!!! I can't believe you left before Metallica played. They were at the height of their powers on the Justice tour.
shramiac

Post by shramiac »

doublev wrote:I hated Slayer!!!!
Sorry to state the obvious but......I'm telling Uncle Kev on you! :P :P :P

I never liked Slayer either! Kerry King................urgh! How is he allowed to have a signature model!??!!

Anthrax didn't do much for me either, I only owned one album (bargain bin sale) "Among The Living" and I couldn't stop laughing when I got it home and put it on the record player! Funniest album apart from Manowar's "Fighting the World"! I could even get through to side 2 on that one!

Never really listened to Queensryche! Liked "Queen of the Ryche" when I recorded the vid when it came out but I say "Silent Lucidity" live on some award show and didn't think much! The song "Empire" sucked too but the album is rated high by fans.
Genebaby
Site Admin

Post by Genebaby »

Empire is a good album, but Operation Mindcrime is fantastic. Love the album, the live album version, the dvd of the live version, the video with all the clips, can't get enough of Mindcrime.
doublev

Post by doublev »

I saw Metallica on the Monsters of Rock Tour. when Dokken, Scorpions, Kingdom Come and Van Halen were involved. The sound was so bad and not loud it really wan't a good show. The one guitar bands really suffered.

Funny thing is when I saw Kiss in 89 the sound wasn't loud enough either. Outside summer gigs!!! That was the show when Mark Slaughter mentioned Vinnie to the audience. Not in a good way either.
doublev

Post by doublev »

Queenesryche were really good. I thought some of the harmonies were on the same lines as VVI in a little way.
That record was great (O.Mindecrime).
doublev

Post by doublev »

as for leaving.. i was only 13 or 14 and I had school in the morning and was with my dad.. I was really only interested in Queensryche. Stupid.. I agree.

the amount of shows my dad took me to is crazy.
metatron

Post by metatron »

Queenesryche got to be one of the best bands ever...Love every album...Killer sound every time.
I got Jesus in my fax machine. I saw Ho Chi Minh down @ Burger King. I dated Vinnie Vincent as a Drag Queen. I still don't understand a f**kin' thing.
I have come here to chew bubble gum and kick ass and I'm all out of bubble gum.
Slayer

Post by Slayer »

My screen name is unrelated to any fondness of Kerry King so bash Slayer all you want as I'm not a fan of theirs. :-) The screen name goes back 30 years to a time when I was an avid bowler and was nicknamed Slayer and also Mister Twister. LOL!
Genebaby
Site Admin

Post by Genebaby »

So just because you could be Kerry King's cousin is just a coincidence? ;)
Slayer

Post by Slayer »

Genebaby wrote:So just because you could be Kerry King's cousin is just a coincidence? ;)
Yes, LMAO! :-)

An ever bigger coincidence is that Kerry King up until about 5 years was my neighbor and I never even knew it at the time. His house was around the corner and about 2 blocks away. Kerry likes to play golf so he and his wife about 5 years ago moved to South Corona to a community called Eagle Glen which is on a golf course.
doublev

Post by doublev »

I never got Slayer at all. I could not say I found even a second of their music good. Metallica and Megadeth.. much much better and Anthrax better too. I used to like Annihilator from Canada. Saw then 3 times.
Genebaby
Site Admin

Post by Genebaby »

Have a listen to Seasons In The Abyss, great production and songs. I really like the sound on that album.
strangeways
Location: United States of America (Greater Chicagoland area)

Post by strangeways »

Genebaby wrote: Queensyrche and Metallica in 88 would have been AWESOME Dino!!! I can't believe you left before Metallica played. They were at the height of their powers on the Justice tour.
Saw that bill.

Amazing show.

Big Queensryche fan here.

Here are some pics that my pal took of Metallica doing a signing at one of our local records store
(Rolling Stone records) in the greater Chicagoland area circa 1984.

ImageImage
"Stairway to the stars, I think I'll write good health to you." - Albert Bouchard / Richard Meltzer / Donald Roeser
"Vinnie Vincent saved Kiss. It's just too bad he couldn't save himself." - Me
Brooklyn_Born

Post by Brooklyn_Born »

Great pics thanks for posting! I love seeing stuff like that :D
Hey man, I am cool, I am the Breeze...

VVFF Rocks Hard!!!
This is not a Hate Forum Vinnie...Capisce!!?
Brooklyn has almost left the Building
Genebaby
Site Admin

Post by Genebaby »

Yeah, how cool is that? Young and cool Metallica, ah the good old days.
birnie

Post by birnie »

Stumbled across this tonight.
It'll put a little smile on your face at some stage.
I grinned most of the way through :P

[youtube][/youtube]